Seahorse is one type of marine fish (after a long debate now scientists believe that Sea Horse is a fish) which is 0.6 to 14 in length.
- It’s Genus is Hippocampus. Hippocampus word derived from “hippos” or horse and “Kampos” or Sea Monster.
Seahorses are found in tropical and temperate waters.
Seahorses are unique in different features
- 1> slowest fish in the ocean. ( Guinness world records) and moved by a small fin on their back (flutters 35 times/sec). One smaller pectoral fin at back works as a steering
- 2> have ability to change colour with surrounding (camouflage) and it saves them from predators.
- 3>They have Skeleton and they are member of Teleost suborder (Bony fish).
- 4>They cannot curl their tails.
- 5>They are monogamous and mate for life.
- 6>Male bears the Unborn Young and it is unique to them as no other species have this features.
Males have brood pouch on their front . After mating female lays eggs in this pouch which are fertilized by their sperms and the egg hatched 9 to 45 days later. Only 1% eggs are able to mature.
They usually mate under a full moon
- 7>Seahorse can produce “click” sound during eating and interacting with others or mating seasons .
- 8>Seahorse has courting behaviour to their partners during reproduction time. Male even dance around female and shoot jet of water from the pouch just to impress his partner.
- 9>They do not have any scale unlike any other fishes.
- 10>They haven’t stomach and have to consume foods very often to survive (Voracious eaters). They feed Mysid Shrimp and small crustaceans and other invertebrates and even larval fish. They wait for their food anchoring with prehensile tails to sea grasses and corals.
International protection act passed on May 15, 2004 to save them from illegal trade ( In Chinese culture it have tremendous medicinal value).
Photos Of Seahorse