Yaodong-in Shaanxi province, China- is an human excavated caves and it has more than 40 million people..Can you believe it?
- The historian in china believe that these cave house dwelling started from Xia Dynasty ( 2070 – 1600 BC ). Han dynasty (-206 to 220), and dynasties Sui ( 581 to 618 ) and Tang (618 to 907) brought construction improvement and new technique . During the dynasties Ming ( 1368 to 1644 ) and Qing (1644 to 1912) these construction peaked.
- These yaodong caves are found on the Loess Plateau of China in the North (four provinces: Gansu, Shanxi, Henan, and the Hui). Qingyang region has the highest no of cave dweller in respect to non cave people.
Caves and Insulation
- The wall surrounding these caves house makes these room very comfortable in both winter and cold season.
It takes very little heat in winter and in summer practically you can consider these as a AC room. (believe it or not !!!!)
- Yaodong ( means cave in chinese) dug into the side of a mountain.
- These caves entrance are almost semicircular and it is spreaded with woven blankets and rice paper.
- Swankier caves are more improved and it has all equipments as like in modern city.(electricity, phone, water supply)..
- But most of the cave dweller have’nt these and they use nearby muddy river water, but anyhow these caves natural insulation makes them comfortable in both season..
- 1556 Shaanxi earthquake killed thousands of yaodong people.
- Mao Zedong made headquarters in Yan’an and lived in between 1935-1948.
- More than 40 million people lives in Yaodong
Photos Of Yaodong Caves